Kinsale Youth Support Services (KYSS)
supported by TUSLA Child & Family Agency
Family Support Worker
Post: Family Support Worker - Part-Tim e (Maternity Cover)
Location Kinsale Youth Support Services, Guardwell, 2 Cork Street, Kinsale.
Reporting to: Project Co-ordinator
Works with: Kinsale Youth Support Services (KYSS), Project Staff, External Agencies and children/families accessing KYSS services.
Job Purpose : To provide quality services to children and their families in the provision of individual and family programmes.
Core Job Requirements:
- To devise an intervention plan for children in consultation with the Line Manager.
- To provide a safe and appropriate environment for children to participate in the services.
- To ensure all children attending the service receive an appropriate level of supervision.
- To design, implement and evaluate group programmes for children and their families.
- To offer practical advice and support to families to develop the skills to meet their children’s needs.
- To network with other agencies in consultation with the key worker to ensure an integrated approach to family needs.
- To review progress on an ongoing basis with the Line Manager and adapt intervention plan accordingly.
- To be vigilant to any concerns regarding protection and welfare of children and to bring any concerns to the attention of the KYSS Designated Liaison Person in a timely manner, in keeping with the KYSS Child Protection Policy.
- To record concerns promptly and accurately and report to line manager.
- To assist project staff in the delivery of other programmes within the project.
- To gather information, statistics and prepare reports as required, including administration of. databases as appropriate to the role
- To identify and document to the line manager any unmet needs of children/young people/carers/families within the service and to participate in the advocacy work of the agency.
- To supervise students and volunteers where necessary and to ensure they are aware of all KYSS policies and procedures, compile placement reports as appropriate to the role.
Requirements Specific to this Post
- The working hours required for this position are 20 hours each week.
- Ability to work closely with vulnerable children and families.
- Prepare, facilitate and review group work programmes for children
- Ability to work on own initiative and to consult where appropriate.
- To work as part of a team, liaise and co-work with colleagues and other agencies.
- To ensure commitment to the delivery of a quality service to children and families.
- To ensure confidentiality is adhered to at all times in relation to information on children, families, staff and all other matters within the project.
- Good computer skills are essential.
Requirements of all Kinsale Youth Support (KYSS) Staff:
- Commitment to the purpose of Kinsale Youth Support Services and to work within the values, policies and procedures of the organisation and in the context of current legislation and regulations.
- To participate in regular supervision with your line manager.
- To actively participate in team and staff meetings and service reviews/evaluations and to contribute to the development of policies and practices in your area of work, and within KYSS as a whole.
- To report any area of concern to your line manager in a timely manner.
- To exercise flexibility in relation to hours of attendance to meet the needs of the work. Working unsocial hours may be required.
- Have a flexible approach to the work in response to organisational change, development and review of best practice.
- Participate in and engage with a performance management programme.
- Identify training needs with your line manager and participate in training opportunities appropriate to the role.
- To be vigilant to any concerns regarding the protection and welfare of children and to bring them to the KYSS Designated Liaison Person in a timely manner in keeping with the KYSS Child Projection policies.
- To participate in the efficient flow of information within the organisation by sharing and seeking information as appropriate.
- To undertake other duties as may be requested by the line manager from time to time.
- To undertake your work in a manner that is friendly, flexible and informal.
Note: This Job Description will be reviewed and updated in line with the needs of the work.
- Ability to connect and form supportive relationships with children and families
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- To have the necessary skills to engage children either on an individual basis or in a group work context.
- Understanding the importance of confidentiality and working in the community and the ability to establish appropriate professional boundaries.
- Flexibility and adaptability is essential for the post.
- A minimum of three-year post qualification experience working with children and families is essential.
(Work experience means paid employment not training curses/student placement) Relevant voluntary work may be considered.
Minimum Requirements :
- Qualifications in Social Care, Social Work, Youth Work or Education Level 7
Other Requirements :
- Experience of delivering group work programmes to children in the community.
- Training in specific group work approaches, combined with knowledge of child development will be an advantage.
- Full driving licence and access to the use of a suitable car is essential.
- The post holder will work in the Kinsale Youth Support Services catchment area.
- Applicants must be submitted to [email protected]
- Applicants may also attach a CV or other supplementary information in respect of their application.
- Attaching CV alone will result in the applicant not being considered for shortlisting.
- Shortlisting will apply
- The post will be subject to satisfactory reference checks and to Garda Vetting prior to employment being offered.
- A probationary period will apply.